Marketing & Communications Manager
A private foundation seeks an energetic, experienced, hands-on innovator to fill the inaugural role of Marketing & Communications Manager for a creative sanctuary and multidisciplinary cultural hub that will be situated in Long Beach. The space will host contemporary art and exhibitions, immersive experiential art, community programming with a focus on art, wellness and social justice, fresh food and drinks, a meditative sculpture garden, as well as organizing special events. This project is at start-up phase.
This position plays a crucial role in the ultimate success of the center. The strategy is to draw visitors to the center by a) creating a popular venue for the exhibition of experiential contemporary art, b) presenting permanent exhibits, c) offering exceptionally engaging public programs and events and d) expanding the experience using the most current technology. The MCM will manage a significant marketing budget, giving the Compound the ability to market well beyond expectations.
As part of the leadership for the space, the role requires the capacity to collaborate with the Executive Director (ED) and Director of Programs (PD) to create marketing and communications strategies, collaborating with team members to build awareness and transform different constituencies into engaged visitors. All marketing and communications strategies pursued must be sustainable, pragmatic and offer a positive return on investment (financially and for achieving attendance goals) consistent with the space’s overall business and operating objectives. The MCM is expected to exercise considerable independent action, judgment, and initiative.
The MCM will be mindful of the diverse socio-economic barriers that keep some audiences from engaging in contemporary art and culture. As an inclusive space, the MCM will aspire to consistently attract an audience that reflects the diversity of Long Beach and beyond.
Reporting to the Executive Director this position will collaborate on the vision, strategic framework for institutional marketing and communications:
• Establish and implement marketing efforts to drive diverse attendance to the Compound
• Work closely with the ED, PD and Founder to define institutional audience objectives and create strategies to accomplish those objectives
• Manage institutional messaging priorities (short and long term) creating consistent brand profile across all marketing, media relations, and communications platforms
• Manage message platforms and communication channels for advertising, media relations, public relations, and promotional strategies
• Generate high visibility local and regional marketing for exhibitions and programs
• Execute effective local and regional media engagement and expand beyond to include national media coverage for exhibitions and programs
• Provide periodic reports and overviews to institutional leadership
• Ensure that event planning takes in to account local and regional competing or complementary events
• Develop and manage marketing budget
LEAD MARKETING EFFORTS:
• Develop and implement integrated marketing plans for exhibitions, public programs, and events
• Implement alternative and online strategies—web-based promotions, social media, relational marketing, mobile systems, innovative partnerships and collaborative efforts
• Oversee copy and creative development of marketing campaigns and collateral materials
• Oversee all media buys and promotional partnerships
• Manage internal and external protocols and procedures to ensure timely and consistent communications
• Manage websites, social media and mobile engagement platforms.
• Manage mass email lists and communications
• Provide editorial support for all print and electronic communications
• Maintain the standards for writing including tone, voice, and style
• Establish and serve as primary liaison with media sponsors—print, on-air, and online
• In collaboration with the audience engagement staff, assist in initiating special marketing initiatives including cross-promotions with other cultural institutions and arts organizations, and creating blog content
• Closely integrate co-marketing and joint-programming with retail, restaurant and special event partners
IMPLEMENT PUBLIC RELATIONS EFFORTS:
• Under the general oversight of the ED and Founder, implement media relations and public information strategies—local, and national; print, on-air, and online including a major public relations campaign for the opening of the Compound
• Manage outside public relations contractors to achieve maximum value and results
• Execute production of all media relations efforts—releases, alerts, interviews and pitches
• Act as media relations liaison during press previews and visits; manage on-the-ground logistics and provide advance staffing at public relations events and presentations
• Collaborate with the audience engagement staff, visitor services and group sales to manage and respond to all visitor comments and complaints in a timely manner
• Assist the ED and Founder with crisis management
• Assist the ED and PD with external affairs and neighbor relations
OVERSEE AUDIENCE AND INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH:
• Oversee collection and analysis of audience research, including oversight of hired audience research professionals; and the planning, execution, and interpretation of audience surveys
• Oversee attendance metrics, tracking and analysis
• Implement and manage online tools for evaluation of websites and social media
• Manage marketing interns and volunteers
• Collaborate with other team members to produce special events including the opening events
• Special projects as assigned
• Other duties as assigned by the ED
This position will supervise external contractors providing communications, marketing, web, interactive, and design services as well as
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree with five or more years of progressively responsible experience in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations or a related field; experience in a cultural or other non-profit institution a plus.
• Demonstrated success in planning and conducting major marketing and communications campaigns and expanding market reach.
• Knowledge of general consumer marketing strategy, campaign execution, and branding.
• Knowledge of website development, search engine optimization, pay-per-click advertising, social media, and email campaign management.
• Political, analytical and negotiation skills required to manage in a fast-paced, complex, energetic and changing environment. Sound judgment and superior problem-solving ability.
• Excellent strategic and critical thinking skills. Strong organizational skills.
• Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal communication and listening skills, and the ability to communicate persuasively and dynamically about Compound and its programs.
• Consistent drive and ability to take ideas from vision to implementation.
The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the intersection of contemporary art and performance, culture, community engagement and wellness; with a specific interest in understanding intersectionality and contemporary social issues
A critical thinker who can analyze data, capitalize on information, reflect, develop and implement strategic programming and marketing initiatives and plans;
A confident, intelligent and articulate leader who is creative, energetic, accountable and entrepreneurial, yet collaborative and team-oriented;
Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily, listens as well as gives advice; respects the abilities of others and has a high level of emotional intelligence and political awareness;
A person with strong time management skills, well-organized and deadline-oriented, with exceptional attention to detail and follow-through; able to work both in unstructured and planned environments, and in situations where rapid response and instant decision making is required;
Capable of influencing an organization utilizing both strategic and hands-on problem solving and implementation skills; persuasive and persistent in the pursuit of the organization’s marketing goals;
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision and a 401k retirement savings plan.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We are an equal opportunity employer and we aspire to reflect the diversity of Long Beach in both our staff and visitors. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We believe that by actively building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate and inspire and engage with the widest possible audience.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.